The Basilica of Our Lady of Snows, located in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu, India, is a popular Catholic pilgrimage center dedicated to Mother Mary. Ranked as the top place to visit in Thoothukudi, this renowned shrine offers a traditional and holy experience for visitors. Inspired by the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, the Basilica of Our Lady of Snows attracts tourists with its rich history and spiritual significance. With its beautiful architecture and serene atmosphere, this basilica is a best places to visit in Thoothukudi destination for those seeking peace and tranquility.
1. Basilica of Our Lady of Snows
Basilica of Our Lady of Snows has been ranked 1st in the list of Best places to visit in Thoothukudi.
Our Lady of Snows Shrine Basilica is situated in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu, India. It is a renowned Catholic pilgrimage center in India that is dedicated to Our Lady of Snows, a title given to Mother Mary. The name of the shrine is inspired by the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.
- Awesome, traditional, Holy place
- Superb lighting during festival time
- The Lady of Snows is incredibly powerful, and the place brings immense peace to our minds.
04:00 – 20:00
2. Muthu Nagar New Beach
- Clean beach, with free car parking, good place for a walk, with restrooms
- Cool place to go with kids in the evening time
- Best place for walking
3. Roche Park
Park and Garden
- Cool breeze air, perfect place for walking 🚶!
- You also get a great view at evening the sunset
- Admirable and most memorable beach for all ages particularly for families
06:00 – 21:00
4. Shankara Rameshwarar Udanurai Pagampriyal Kovil,
Shankara Rameshwarar Udanurai Pagampriyal Kovil is ranked at the 4th position in the list of Best places to visit in Thoothukudi. It is a Hindu Temple.
- This temple is my favourite place where one can get peace and a divine feel.
- The place where we can feel the presence of Lord Shiva.
- Peaceful and divine place, not much rush on weekdays.
05:00 – 12:00, 16:00 – 21:30
Check out: Places to visit, Things to do in Belur
5. Thoothukudi Harbour Beach
- Kids can spend their time nicely
- Plenty of parking, in the morning you purchase fresh fish at this shore
- The sea waves make a wonderful sound which calms our mind
6. Harbour Beach
Harbour Beach is ranked 6th in the list of Best places to visit in Thoothukudi Beach.
- Beautiful place for sightseeing in the morning and evening
- Beach at Tuticorin, fresh fish available early morning
- Wonderful place, especially in the morning, with a chance to buy fresh fish and enjoy a fresh view
7. V. O. Chidambaranar Port Trust
V.O. Chidambaranar Port Authority is a port located in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu. It is one of the 13 major ports in India and was declared a major port on July 11, 1974. This port is the second largest in Tamil Nadu and the third largest container terminal in India. V.O. Chidambaranar Port is an artificial port and the third international port in Tamil Nadu. It is also the second all-weather port. From April 1 to September 13, 2008, V.O. Chidambaranar Port Authority’s traffic handling exceeded 10 million tons, with a growth rate of 12.08% compared to the previous year’s handling of 8.96 million tons. The port offers services to various countries including the USA, China, Europe, Sri Lanka, and Mediterranean countries. The Coast Guard Station Thoothukudi, under the operational and administrative control of the Commander, Coast Guard Region, Chennai, is located at V.O. Chidambaranar Port Authority, Tamil Nadu. The Coast Guard Station V.O. Chidambaranar Port Authority was commissioned on April 25, 1991, by Vice Admiral SW Lakhar, NM, VSM, the then Director General Coast Guard. The Station Commander is responsible for Coast Guard operations in the Gulf of Mannar jurisdiction.
- It’s a beautiful place to visit. We can see large cargo ships.
- This port is also the fourth largest container terminal in the country.
8. Tharuvai Kulam Beach
Open 24 hours
9. Tuticorin Roach Beach
Tuticorin Roach Beach has secured the 9th position in the list of the best places to visit in Thoothukudi. This beach park offers play equipment for visitors to enjoy.
- Nice view by evening
- It is better to pass through during early morning or evening time
- The nicely decorated park enhances the beauty of the beach
10. Hare Island
Hare Island secured 10th position in the list of Best places to visit in Thoothukudi.
Hare Island is an island which lies adjoining the V. O. Chidambaranar Port Trust in Thoothukudi, India. Hare Island forms a part of the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park. With an area of 1.29 square kilometres, Hare Island is the largest island in the Gulf of Mannar. Muyal Theevu is better known as Raja Theevu or Pandian Theevu. It was referred to by the Portuguese as Isle Des Reis. History has it that as the indigenous people of this coast, famous for pearl fishing, the Paravars, resorted to mass conversion, they were persecuted by the Nayaks of Madurai. So they fled from Tuticorin to Muyal Theevu, from where they migrated again in the course of time. Muyal Theevu is known for its healthy ecosystem of coral and sea grass. Many tourists visit here during the Pongal holidays when special buses are operated for the benefit of the tourists.
- Best beach of Tuticorin.
11. Chindiyatrai Madha RC Church